This post is inspired by Peter Johnston when he spoke at the Wisconsin State Reading Association conference this year. He suggested we measure student reading engagement with questions that identify what happens when someone truly is a reader. I left the last three slots open. What would you ask?
Top Ten Signs You Might Be an Avid Reader
- Do you get upset when a teacher or parent tells you to stop reading and go to another activity?
- Have you ever accidentally walked into something while reading? (Johnston)
- While reading, did a large amount of time pass without you realizing it? (Allington)
- Have you purchased both the print and digital version of the same book, just in case you need to reference it at any time?
- Are you reluctant to mark up the pages, for fear that the person you lend the book to will not appreciate it?
- Do you sometimes refrain from reading before bed, because you may stay up too late?
- Do you have at least two books on deck?